Elland Road Stadium has been the home of Leeds United ever since the organization’s founding in 1919. It is an English football stadium that is situated in Beeston, Leeds, West Yorkshire. The complex is the 14th-largest football stadium in England.
The stadium served as a neutral site for FA Cup semi-final games, England international games, and was chosen as one of eight Euro 96 locations. In the middle of the 1980s, the rugby league team Hunslet played at Elland Road, which also served as the site of two 2015 Rugby World Cup games.
Elland Road features four stands with a total seating capacity of 37,792: the Don Revie (North) Stand, the Jack Charlton (East) Stand, the Norman Hunter South Stand, and the John Charles (West) Stand. On March 15, 1967, during a rematch versus Sunderland in the FA Cup’s fifth round, the record attendance of 57,892 was set. The current attendance record is 40,287, set on December 22, 2001, during a Premiership game between Manchester United and Newcastle United. This was before the stadium was required by the Taylor Report to become an all-seater arena. Currently, there are plans to destroy the West Stand and reconstruct the area in order to boost Elland Road’s seating capacity to 50,000.
History on the Elland Road Stadium
Bentley’s Brewery held the land, which was known as the Old Peacock Ground from the bar that faced it and was located at the foot of Beeston Hill alongside the A643 road to Elland. As a result, both Leeds City and United were known as the Peacocks. The Old Peacock Ground was purchased from Bentley’s for £1,100, and Holbeck Rugby Club (rugby league) moved there as the first tenants. The West Yorkshire Cup final between Hunslet and Harrogate on April 23, 1898, was the first competitive football game played there, with Hunslet winning 1-0.
In preparation for the 1898–1899 campaign, the club built a new stand. The stadium subsequently adopted the name Elland Road. Leeds Woodville of the Leeds League shared the field with Holbeck RLFC during the 1902-03 season. However, Holbeck failed in 1904 after losing a play-off match against St. Helens, and the field was then placed up for sale. A new club, Leeds City, was established following a meeting at the Griffin Hotel in Boar Lane in August, and it was decided that the Elland Road stadium would be hired for the next season. On October 13, 1904, a lease for a yearly rent of £75 was signed. In March 1905, the club had the opportunity to purchase the stadium for £5,000; however, in November, the cost was lowered to £4,500.
City built a 5,000-seat covered stand on the west side at a cost of £1,050 during their debut season in the Football League. A local derby match against Bradford City on December 30 attracted nearly 22,500 spectators, generating £487 in gate receipts. Attendance was increasing. The club’s directors maintained their expansion plan and made sure the initial success was capitalized upon by appointing a “ground committee” to monitor construction. 3,961 square yards of land on the Churwell and Gelderd Road side of the field were purchased from the Monk’s Bridge Iron Company in February 1906 for £420. Over half a mile of steel was used in the £3000 endeavor. There included a motor garage, changing and officials rooms, and a training track for the players that spanned the entire length of the stand. On the pitch, drainage work was done to keep it from getting flooded.
City’s financial struggles threatened the club’s viability, but after considerable uncertainty, an offer of £1,000 and a £250 annual ground rental was approved. Up until the start of the 1919–20 season, the field was utilized as a drill and shooting range during the Great War. City had a strong start to that season, but after just eight games, the team was kicked out of the Football League due to a scandal involving allegedly paying players illegally during the war. This gave some local businesspeople the idea to develop Elland Road into a brickyard by excavating the clay deposits beneath the pitch. Yorkshire Amateurs took over as tenants, and the club temporarily played there in order to prevent the site from being developed.
More Information on the Elland Road Stadium
Stands on the Elland Road Stadium
Don Revie North Stand
Capacity: 7,000 (including north-east and north-west corners)
At the north end of the field is the Don Revie Stand. The standing terrace, formerly known as the Gelderd End or Kop, received its new name in 1994 in honor of Don Revie, the club’s most successful manager and former player. The club’s president, George Lascelles, 7th Earl of Harewood, and Mrs. E. Revie, the late Don Revie’s widow, formally unveiled the Revie Stand in October. Elland Road is an all-seater stadium thanks to the Taylor Report’s requirement that the design have 7,000 seats. The most sophisticated “ground control box” in all of Europe is located in the northwest corner. Security procedures are coordinated, and videos and photos taken of each person entering the ground are monitored. The security cameras positioned all over the ground capture images and video.
Jack Charlton East Stand
The East Stand is the section of the stadium that was most recently built. The two-tiered building, which cost £5.5 million to construct, was unveiled in the 1993–94 season to replace the Lowfields stand. After completed, it held 10,000 spectators in the bottom tier and an additional 7,000 on the upper tier, making it the largest cantilever stand in the world. For club members and season ticket holders attending games with children, there are now two sections, one at either end of the lower tier. The family area was originally relocated from the South Stand and covered the entire lower tier. However, this was changed by Ken Bates.Between them are 25 executive boxes and a sizable concourse that houses stores selling goods, eateries, betting terminals, and a café. The East Stand’s capacity was decreased as a result of the renovations, and the words Leeds United AFC were removed from the seats.
Norman Hunter South Stand
Capacity: 5,000 (including South-East and South-West corners)
The Scratching Shed, which had been present since the 1920s, was replaced in 1974 by the South Stand, which cost £500,000 to construct. It consists of two little tiers that cross at an executive restaurant and a row of 32 executive boxes. In the South-West Corner, there are a few seats and a sizable video screen for the 2009–10 season. 1,710 spectators can be found in the South-East Corner, which served as the away section before to its relocation to the West Stand. For the first few games of the 2006–07 season, the stand was closed while it underwent renovations in the summer of 2006. The renovations included a restaurant called Billy’s Bar, named after former captain Billy Bremner, an overhaul of the kitchen concourse area, a mezzanine-level office area, and a complete modernization of the corporate facilities above. The concrete columns and alcoves were boxed in to give the stand a more contemporary exterior. The supermarket of the club is close by. The club declared that the stand would be named in honor of Norman Hunter, who had passed away on April 20, on April 23, 2020.
John Charles West Stand
The West Stand, which is where the John Charles Stand is located on the west side of the field, was renamed after the death of former player John Charles on February 21, 2004, by the supporters. It was constructed in 1957 when the previous stand burned down, making it the oldest two-tiered structure at Elland Road. Ironically, this forced Charles to sell his property because the club needed the money to pay for the new stand. In addition to the commentary gantry and walkway for TV people, the corporate seats are situated here. There are facilities here for the press and the radio. The club doctor and the directors’ box, where the home and away team directors watch the game, are located in the West Stand. Numerous suites are built into the stand, and a banqueting room and conference center, which were inaugurated in April 1992, are added to the back. Following a £300,000 renovation, portions of the West Stand served as the new home for away supporters as of September 2011. According to future plans, the John Charles Stand will be renovated to become a two-floor, three-tiered, 3500 square meter facility. A new upper tier and executive boxes would have been added as part of the West Stand’s redevelopment, which was intended to make Elland Road a stadium more capable of hosting matches and events of the highest caliber. However, it is now unlikely that any redevelopment of the west stand will take place due to the change in club ownership, which decided against moving forward with the plans.
The pitch has run-off areas on both sides and is roughly 115 yards (105 m) long by 74 yards (68 m) wide. There is a 95-kilometer (59-mile) long under-soil heating system placed beneath the surface. This, along with a reliable drainage system, ensures that the club would only need to postpone a game due to extreme weather like severe fog, blizzards, or flooding. The West Stand, North Stand, and South Stand all have wells sunk about 70 feet (21 m) beneath them, and the South Stand has a pumping system, so the club is able to use its own water supply if necessary. The pitch became black the first time the club used it, though, since the water was too cold.
Other uses the stadium
Nine FA Cup semi-final games have taken place at Elland Road as neutral venues, the first being a match between Barnsley and Everton on March 26, 1910, and the last being an Everton vs. Tottenham Hotspur encounter on April 9, 1995.
Three England men’s international games and one England women’s international have taken place at the venue. England and Sweden played to a 3-3 draw on June 8, 1995. This was the first England home international outside of Wembley in 22 years, and the first time a match between England and another country had taken place in a brand-new venue since 1946. The second contest took place against Italy in a friendly on March 27, 2002, while the new Wembley was being constructed. If Manchester had been successful in its campaign to host the 2000 Summer Olympics as well as in the unsuccessful English bid to host the 2018 FIFA World Cup, Elland Road would have also been a prospective host venue for the football tournament at the Olympics.
After the Elland Road Greyhound Stadium in Beeston closed in 1982, Hunslet Rugby League Club shared the stadium from 1983 to 1995. (from 1980 to 1982 the club played at the Mount Pleasant ground in Batley). There was a replay of the 1982 Challenge Cup Final between Widnes and Hull FC. When a test match between Great Britain and New Zealand was held on November 9, 1985, rugby league was played on a global scale.
Moreover, 15 international rugby league games were held at Elland Road. Since losing 2-0 to France at the conclusion of the 1978 Kangaroo tour, Australia had not lost a series or a competition until New Zealand overcame them in the 2005 Tri-Nations Final. The 2018 Baskerville Shield match between England and New Zealand served as the stadium’s fifteenth international. Elland Road will host a semifinal game in the 2021 Rugby League World Cup, it was announced on January 29, 2019.
While Headingley Stadium was being renovated, two of Leeds Rhinos’ home Super League games were played at Elland Road.
How to Get on the Elland Road Stadium
Getting to Emirates Stadium with Public Transportation
Leeds Railway Station [LDS]: The station is two miles from the stadium and can be found at New Station Street, Leeds, LS1 4DY. The bus section down below has information on how to travel to Elland Road from the station.
From Sovereign Street, which is close to Leeds station, a matchday shuttle bus service run by First Leeds Buses travels to the stadium.
The service runs frequently beginning 90 minutes before kickoff. After the game, a frequent service will run back to the heart of Leeds. Adult return fares are £3, while child and senior citizen fares are £1.50. Single trips cost £2 for adults and £1 for children and older passengers.
Along Elland Road, bus routes 51, 52, and 55 also run from the heart of Leeds to the stadium. Please be aware that bus stops outside the stadium along Elland Road are closed one hour before and one hour after a home game.
Arriving at Elland Road Stadium by Car
Click here to view Elland Road on Google Maps.
- From the North: A1, M1, A639 to Leeds. Join m621 to Junction 1. Take A6110 from Roundabout into Elland Road.
- From the South: M1, M621 to Junction 1. Take A6110 from Roundabout into Elland Road.
- From the East: A64, A1, then as from North or M62, M621 to Junction 1. Take A6110 from roundabout into Elland Road.
- From the West: M62, M621, to Junction 1. Take A6110 from roundabout into Elland Road.